How to encrypt and sign with different keys

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jul 21 22:02:50 CEST 2016

On Thursday 21 July 2016 12:27:20 dom at mielko.com wrote:
>  From: "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>
>> gpg --recipient ID-A --local-user ID-B --encrypt --sign filename.txt
>
> Still need your help guys. The syntax listed below works (or I think
> it does) but how do I verify that the file was encrypted with key
> ID-A and signed with key ID-B? When I type "gpg filename.pgp" I get
> the information about encryption key but nothing mentions ID-B
> signing key.

The file is first signed and then encrypted. gpg can only give you
information about the signing key if you decrypt the file.

> I am asking because recipient of the file claims that
> the signing key was used to encrypt the file and that he can't
> decrypt it.

To prove/disprove this claim all you need to check is the encryption
key(s) (which you already did with "gpg filename.pgp"). The output of
"gpg filename.pgp" should contain
where <some ID> is ID-A or the ID of an encryption subkey of the key
with ID ID-A.

Regards,
Ingo