Older gpg version does not ask for passphrase

Matthias Nick me at matthias-nick.de
Mon Jun 6 20:09:52 CEST 2016

Hello everyone,

first off: I'm new at this list. I did not find a (working) search
option for the archives nor any thread pertaining to my question during
the past year.

My issue seems to be the exact opposite of what other people experience.
In short, when I copy my keyring to a machine using an older version of
gpg, it decrypts (successfully) without asking for my passphrase.

On my laptop, running Arch Linux with gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.12 and libgcrypt
1.7.0, I am always asked for the passphrase.

Same thing happens on a Debian testing machine running gpg (GnuPG)
2.1.11 and libgcrypt 1.7.0-beta.

On that same machine, when I use gpg instead of gpg2 (gpg (GnuPG)
1.4.20) with the exact same command, the file is decrypted without
entering a passphrase.

On a machine running Debian stable (gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.26 and libgcrypt
1.6.3), the file is also decrypted without a passphrase.

Lastly, my Android phone running OpenKeychaingn 3.9.5 does not ask for a
passphrase either.

Am I doing anything wrong or maybe misunderstanding something? My
understanding is that passphrases are meant for a situation where
someone gets their hands on my private key and this behaviour seems to
defy the purpose.

Many thanks and best regards
Matthias