Fw: GnuPG - Encryption process issues.

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Jun 9 20:27:38 CEST 2016

> -> Files Under /home/ehpadm/.gnupg
>
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 1200 May 3 21:54 trustdb.gpg
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 7438 May 3 21:54 pubring.gpg~
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 8557 May 3 21:54 pubring.gpg
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 4805 May 3 21:54 secring.gpg
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 11 May 3 22:03 .#lk200104b8.mxoccsapehpn2.6488076
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 9029 May 4 11:18 gpg.conf
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 11 May 4 13:43 .#lk2000c328.mxoccsapehpn2.6160766
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 11 May 4 13:55 .#lk2000c328.mxoccsapehpn2.8913004
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 11 May 4 15:55
> .#lk2000c328.mxoccsapehpn2.12976528
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 11 May 4 17:58
> .#lk2000c328.mxoccsapehpn2.10158578
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 11 May 4 18:06 .#lk2000c328.mxoccsapehpn2.5308674
> -rw------- 1 ehpadm sapsys 0 May 31 10:00 random_seed

Note this last line. There is a file /named/ random_seed, but it's not
doing its purpose. The file random_seed is used to store some randomness
to carry it over from one invocation to the next. This file is empty; it
contains no data, and hence no randomness.

First of all, you can happily delete this file. It's useless in its
current state, and GnuPG will generate a new one.

I did a quick look at the code, and stopped looking when the code
detecting an empty random_seed file was at least there in the year 2000
(commit 7438612 of libgcrypt). This case should be handled gracefully.
But still, it seems to work for you when you block access to this file,
right? Why not delete it. Although I suspect you may have tried it already.

Coming to speak of moments something was introduced, I don't think you
ever mentioned which version of GnuPG you're using. Could you please
tell us?

HTH,

Peter.