keytyping never end when gen-key, and importing key warning

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:41:58 CEST 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:17 PM, <yuriping at sohu.com> wrote:

> Problem 1.
> When I run "gpg --gen-key", everything done well, except the last step,
> type on the keyboard to gain enough entropy for the random number
> generator, the process seemingly will never end.
> Ref. to the attatchment, pls. download and check.
>
> I want to know what cause it and how to solve?

This is a well known issue. If you install haveged: `apt-get install
haveged`
it will improve greatly the time of key generation.
What is entropy and why it is slow? This is beyond my understanding.

> So I generate one key on PC running Ubuntu, export the key, and then
> import the key into the target board.
> Now I can signature files with the key, but when I verify the signature
> successfully, one Warning emerged as below
>
> Problem 2.
>
>     gpg: Signature made Thu Jun 16 10:56:45 2016 CST using RSA key ID
> 86111D4F
>     gpg: Good signature from "yuriping (0002) <yuriping at sohu.com>"
>     gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
>     gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
>     Primary key fingerprint: 826B 7296 F49E AED4 F45B  443C 1907 1CAC 8611
> 1D4F
>
> How can I solve this problem?

After importing your key, you also need to sign it as "ultimately trusted",
which is a geeky way of telling gpg that this is your personal key. This
can be done with `gpg --edit-key` and then either `sign` or `trust` (try
each of them).