Getting rid of key stub when moving key to new smart card?

Oliver Klee gnupg at oliverklee.de
Tue Mar 15 20:48:17 CET 2016

Hi everybody,

I'm using GnuPG 2.0.28 on Kubuntu 15.10.

So far, I've been using a YubiKey Neo as a OpenPGP smart card. I've
dutifully done all the steps including creating my key off-card, backing
it up externally and then moving it to the YubiKey using keytocard.

I've decided to move to a new YubiKey. I've deleted my secret key (i.e.
more or less the stub) using --delete-secret-keys and re-imported the
backup.

Now when I try to do a keytocard to the new YubiKey, I get an error
message that the key already is on a card. If I do a --list-secret-keys,
I indeed see the reference to the card for my key.

My (hopefully) educated guess is that the stub still is there even after
I have deleted the secret key from my key chain.

My questions:

- How can I verify that the stub really is gone after deleting the
secret key?
- How can I really remove the stub?
- Or how can I transfer my secret key to a new YubiKey?

Thanks,

Oliver