Getting rid of key stub when moving key to new smart card?

Arthur Ulfeldt arthur at ulfeldt.com
Wed Mar 16 00:22:25 CET 2016

I am having the same problem. The only way to make it see the key on
the new card that I have come across is to completely remove the
entire .gnupg directory and not restore any of it, then import the
public key and only then run gpg --card-status.

If I don't completely wipe everything out (including all other keys
and signatures) then the stub (if thats the right term for this) seems
to survive.