EasyGnuPG

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Mar 22 10:46:25 CET 2016

> Just like Peter wrote I think that a user would usually not
> encounter all bells and wistles.

I think it's rather a bit more extreme than that.  I think if a user has
to fire GnuPG up from the command line *for anything*, something's gone
terribly wrong and we're in danger of losing a user.

No, no, I'm not saying GnuPG is bad for being a command-line
application.  But ask yourself how many users even know how to launch a
terminal, much less interact with one.  The number is shockingly low.
If you want to improve GnuPG's adoption rate, the best path forward
appears to be to target users who only know how to navigate GUI interfaces.

I don't think the EasyGnuPG authors have thought through their target
market.  It targets users who are comfortable enough to say "oh, I
should use the terminal for this!", but not comfortable enough to read a
manpage.  It's targeting a small subset of a small subset.