EasyGnuPG

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 11:20:40 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>
wrote:

> Any cross plattform approach would work. Python has the advantage
> that the source code can be changed by an editor an immedeately run
> and that it works fairly well cross-plattform.
>
> What is even more important is that you should use the official API to
> GnuPG which is Gpgme. https://wiki.gnupg.org/APIs

This is an important point (using the API), because trying to use `gpg` in
scripts is terribly difficult. I don't understand why `gpg` does not follow
the unix philosophy of being easily used in scripts and cooperating easily
with other commands.
So, if there are some things to be improved on gpg, this is one of them:
make it more scriptable. Alternatively, make a bash wrapper of Gpgme (which
can be used on bash scripts).

The other option (for EasyGnuPG) is to be reimplemented in Python or Ruby
etc. (which have Gpgme wrappers and can use the API). Maybe someday
somebody will do this, or maybe I will do it myself some day. But for the
time being I have to stick to bash scripts and try to finish all the
features that I had in mind when I started it.

Dashamir