EasyGnuPG

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:35:51 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> There are two simple things you need to remember when using gpg in a
> script:
>
>   1. --batch to avoid all interaction.
>
>   2. --with-colons to get a well defined output format.  That format is
>      not good for humans, though.
>
> Well we could have done switching the output format automagically but
> that would be rather surprising.  If it is used by a script, adding two
> extra options for the invocation is not really a bug task.

I don't think that automagic would be a good thing.
I still think that the colons format is a bit difficult to process and not
so suitable.

But most importantly, I think that these two options are not enough, it is
not as easy as that. For example there is also --passphrase-fd,
--command-fd, --logging-fd etc. and sometimes I still don't manage to
control properly all the input and output, or I have to do spectacular
things that complicate things a lot. I think that it doesn't have to be
that difficult.