What am I missing?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Mar 30 15:46:12 CEST 2016

> The FBI wanted clearly an easy access to ALL devices and a court ruling
> to force other companies into compliance...

I try not to get involved in conspiracy theories, but this one's just...
outrageous.

So, let's assume the FBI wanted a court ruling to force other companies
into compliance.  Which makes more sense?  To take on a
multibillion-dollar and much-beloved company like Apple and fight their
entire legal department to get a court precedent it can then use to
force smaller guys into compliance...

... or would they take on a small company that can't put up as much of a
legal fight and wouldn't get as much publicity?  And then, having won
that, go to Apple and say "we have precedent on our side"?

Your idea works only if you assume the FBI is pathologically stupid.