What am I missing?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Mar 30 21:57:02 CEST 2016

> The core point is: they wanted more than just this phone. But they
> said it was only about this phone.

That's the core point you're making, and I have no opinion on it.

> Is this "conspiracy theory" outrageous? Or only the one where they
> wanted legal precedent?

The latter.  They believed they already had the precedents they needed;
otherwise they would've never brought the lawsuit.

> They don't have the equipment to read out the memory?

How would I know?  What's public record is this: they hire a *lot* of
forensics nerds from the private sector and have long-standing
relationships with major forensics firms like Kyrus, Cellebrite, and
others.  I suspect it's fair to conclude they need support from the
private sector for a lot of their operations.

> PS: In Dutch, we write the name "Johan" with one n; they seem to
> flourish quite well without the support of additional ones. It's the
> Germans that seem to have trouble to /stop/ spelling Johan :).

My apologies to Johan.  :)  Many years ago I was an exchange student in
Hildesheim, Germany.  My knowledge of German has atrophied considerably
in the last twenty years, but I suspect some lingering instinct there
compelled me to add the second 'n'.