gpg and smartcard on ubuntu 16.04

Jörg Schmitz-Linneweber joerg at schmitz-linneweber.de
Mon May 2 17:13:16 CEST 2016

Hi!

Am 2016-04-27 23:02, schrieb Richard Ulrich:
> I didn't read this list for a while, so forgive me if this was
> discussed before.
>
> For many years I have used gpg and gpg-agent with ssh support with an
> OpenPGP smartcard.
> On every ubuntu upgrade I had to fiddle a little bit to have gpg-agent
> act for ssh auth. No big deal usually.
>
> But this time, after the usual fiddling, I have it working nicely for
> ssh and evolution. But now it's the direct usage of gpg on the command
> line that is giving me a hard time. This aspect always worked out of
> the box so far.

A colleague had the same problems (at the same day... :) and after some
time we found that in the process of the update to 16.04, Ubuntu/apt-get
decided to de-install the package "scdaemon"!

So as the scdaemon is mandatory for gnupg card usage and ssh auth
access, he re-installed it and afterwards he was back to business.

But keep in mind: He had a working ssh/gpg/smart card setup *before*
starting the update to 16.04
and this setup was also not quite intuitive either. :-)

Salut, Joerg

--
gpg/pgp key # 0xd7fa4512
fingerprint 4e89 6967 9cb2 f548 a806  7e8b fcf4 2053 d7fa 4512