Reiner SCT cyberJack Secoder 2 / PIN pad support?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue May 3 14:04:21 CEST 2016

I've got this device with a built-in PIN pad:

Reiner SCT cyberJack Secoder 2 / PIN pad support?

$ lsusb -v
  idVendor           0x0c4b Reiner SCT Kartensysteme GmbH
  idProduct          0x0400

$ opensc-tool -l
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    No    PIN pad   REINER SCT cyberJack ecom_a (7555830073) 00 00

When I try to use it, I am always prompted for the PIN on my PC

I found some support for Reiner SCT and Cyberjack with different product
ID in ccid-driver.c:

$ egrep 'REINER|CYBER' scd/ccid-driver.c
  VENDOR_REINER = 0x0c4b,
#define CYBERJACK_GO    0x0504

although CYBERJACK_GO doesn't appear to be used anywhere else in there.

I've also got a reader from another manufacturer, it also has a PIN pad
and that other reader works fine using the exact same sequence of
commands, e.g.

gpg2 --card-edit
admin
lang en

I'm using gnupg2 packages on Debian jessie, version 2.0.26-6

I came across this blog:
https://blogs.fsfe.org/jzarl/2013/08/20/card-reader-reinersct-cyberjack-pinpad/

and it suggests that there are some older Reiner SCT readers that will
never be supported because they use pcscd and don't support CCID

I looked at scd.log and it appears that CCID is not supported for this
reader:

2016-05-03 13:46:47 scdaemon[20977] DBG: ccid-driver: failed to open
`/dev/cmx0': No such file or directory
2016-05-03 13:46:47 scdaemon[20977] DBG: ccid-driver: failed to open
`/dev/cmx1': No such file or directory
2016-05-03 13:46:47 scdaemon[20977] DBG: ccid-driver: no CCID reader
with number 0

Does this mean this reader will definitely never work with GnuPG?

Is it possible the reader will work with OpenSC or something else on Linux?

Can anybody comment on any of the readers that people should buy if they
want a PIN pad?

Could GnuPG provide an easier way for people to diagnose whether their
reader is supported without having to check logs?