Hundreds of RSA keys factored

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu May 5 00:09:07 CEST 2016

> There is this scary project listing several hundreds factored pgp/rsa
> keys: http://trilema.com/2016/the-phuctoring/

Not scary.  Not all that interesting, either.  It's also been discussed
on this list before.  This group claims to have access to my secret key.
 I posted a 256-bit random sequence and asked them to sign it with my
key.  Daniel Kahn Gillmor realized I'd made an oversight: it could be my
encryption key they'd broken.  He posted an encrypted message and
suggested they reveal the random string contained therein.

We have not heard back from them.

See, e.g.:

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2015-May/053632.html

Until such time as they're able to verify that yes, they can forge
signatures or decrypt traffic, I think we should be suspicious of their
claims.