Popescu and keys

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu May 21 02:13:32 CEST 2015

In the last couple of days a few different people have pointed me to
Mircea Popescu's blog, where he's claimed he's broken ~150 keys that are
in common circulation among the keyservers.  Unfortunately, his blog
post is rather difficult to read: it's full of rude political asides
that have no bearing on anything cryptological.  I regret that, because
it obscures what I think is a fascinating question: has he actually
managed to recover private keys given just the public key?

He claims to already have broken my key.  If so, proving it is
straightforward: sign a 256-bit value with my private key and upload it
somewhere the world can see it.

I'm going to be fascinated by the results, one way or another.  If he
can successfully do this it's going to lead to a lot of very interesting
questions.

For those people who are concerned about this, relax and remember to
breathe.  :)

The 256-bit value, in base64 encoding:

	* anr8HIZZ1hRjeaXDxJ71qBNpw5s9r+42CqF+Bpk9vU4=