(OT) FSF involvement

flapflap flapflap at riseup.net
Fri May 6 15:57:21 CEST 2016

flapflap:
> Peter Lebbing:
>> On 05/05/16 17:17, Werner Koch wrote:
>>> Well, this is not an FSF sponsored list.  I never received any money or
>>> other resources from the FSF.
>>
>> gnu.org lists GnuPG as a "GNU package", a part of the GNU Project. I
>> kinda assumed that that would imply some form of involvement of the FSF
>> in GnuPG... be that infrastructure or other support or whatnot...
>
> I might be wrong, but I thought that the "Thou Shalt Not Advocate
> Proprietary Software" rule is because of the rules for GNU Projects --
> not because of the FSF. They are two different organisations for
> different purposes.
> Previously, I believed to have read these rules in the "Information for
> Maintainers of GNU Software" [0] but could not find it any more.

I found it, finally, in the guidelines for becoming/submitting a GNU
package [0]:

  "A GNU program should not recommend use of any non-free program, and
  it should not refer the user to any non-free documentation for free
  software."

and

  "Since a GNU program is released under the auspices of GNU, it should
  not say anything that contradicts the GNU Project's views."

IMHO, these are valid positions for a GNU Project.  Non-free software is
unjust, and thus, should not be recommended (including advertisement) --
unless a much higher good (e.g., life and limb after a catastrophe) than
software freedom is in danger.

As others have said earlier in this thread, it's fine to discuss
non-free software by the above rules, but advertisement is not discussion.

~flapflap

[0] https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html