Batch key creation curve25519 not working in version 2.1.12 Windows

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Sat May 7 04:12:39 CEST 2016

On 05/07/2016 03:41 AM, Mike Ingle wrote:
> I tried my inputs with eddsa instead of ecdsa and it worked. Not sure if
> there is still a bug to report?
> Thank you for the workaround.

No, it's not a workaround.  It is the correct way to specify the
algorithm.  Well, my description in the previous mail had been bad.
Let me explanation in detail.

In the (forthcoming) OpenPGP standard, we will have a specification
for new key with EdDSA, which has its own algorithm number (= 22).
New algorithm number is required because it's a different thing.  Not
only the curve is different, but also the algorithm is different.

On the other hand, Curve25519 ECDH encryption is considered as an
extension of existing algorighm of ECDH with the specific curve.

Theoretically speaking, we could consider ECDSA with the curve of
Ed25519.  If people really wanted to use it, I'd say, it would be a
bug of GnuPG.  The priority of fixing this (as a bug) is not that
high, though.