Help needed - again

Daniel H. Werner daniel at hillsdalecorp.com
Mon May 9 23:08:37 CEST 2016

Robert,

Thanks you, in advance, for your help.
I have to say here that I am more than a bit embarrassed because I seem to know so little about what I am doing.

OK, here we go.

First, I have 2 Macs, a laptop and an iMac.
I am writing to you from the desktop and the laptop is right here on my desk for reference.

As I said earlier, I want to get the laptop going first so that, perhaps, I will learn a thing to two that I can use to properly setup the desktop.
Incidentally, I had tried to set  up the desktop but, with all the difficulties I was having, I just Uninstalled GPG.

>> I downloaded the suite and did the install on my laptop (I did not want
>
> Which suite?  Several different groups package GnuPG for OS X.
>
> 	* Macports
> 	* Homebrew
> 	* Fink
> 	* GPGTools
> 	* GPGOSX

GPGTools, v2015.09

> Without knowing precisely what package you installed, my advice here
> will have to be general.
>
>> The Keychain was moved from my old machine to the new one.
>
> PGP stores its public and secret keys in two files called "pubring.pkr"
> and "secring.skr".  These are not stored on the Apple Keychain.  Did you
> migrate the pubring.pkr and secring.skr files, or did you migrate the
> Apple Keychain?

I moved:
PGP Private Keyring.skr
and
PGP Public Keyring.pkr

> Do you recognize the certificate ID associated with this set?

I don’t know how/where to look. And I am not sure I would know what I was looking at.

>> After getting some help from some of you, it appeared that the install
>> was good.  I could send an encrypted and signed message to myself and
>> receive it.
>
> Which certificate did you use to encrypt to yourself?  The one you found
> which you believe was mistakenly created, or your certificate from 2003?

I believe it was the 03 version.

>> He did and …  I cannot decrypt his message.
>
> How do you know that he used your certificate to encrypt the message?
> Oftentimes, when we can't decrypt traffic sent to us, it's because the
> person sending us email used the wrong certificate.

He said he used the key I sent to him.

>> I still have the previous/original secret and public keys. When I tried
>> to Import them, I get a prompt telling me:
>
> How are you trying to import them?

I put them on a USB flash drive from my old (G5) machine, plugged that flash drive  into the laptop and hit Import in the GPG Keychain window.

> Open a Terminal window (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app).  At the
> prompt, which I'm going to assume is "$" (although it probably won't
> be), type:
>
> $ find ~ -name "*ring.?kr”

I am obviously missing something  here because I am getting … nothing!

> When you respond to this email, include the output of this command,
> please.  (You should, of course, first check to make sure you're not
> revealing any confidential information.  This command is perfectly safe,
> but you shouldn't take my word for it.)
>

> * Is the certificate ID of the mystery certificate the same as that of
> your normal certificate?
>
> If you don't know your normal certificate's ID, then just answer "I
> don't know".  It's okay.  :)

Don’y know.

> * Which certificate did you use to encrypt to yourself?
>
> Take the email that you could read and save it (in encrypted form) to
> your Desktop as "my_message.eml”.

I do not see the encrypted message. I see the message I just sent to myself.  In the Header it says:
Security: Encrypted, Signed (daniel at hillsdalecorp.com)

>  From Terminal.app, run this:
>
> $ gpg -vvvv $HOME/Desktop/my_message.eml

Again, nothing!

> ... Do all this, and we should be much better able to help you figure
> this thing out.  :)

I hope, Robert, that my responses here are useful in developing the next step.

Daniel

Daniel H. Werner,
President
Hillsdale Corporation
9 Oregon Yacht Club
Portland, OR 97202  USA
www.hillsdalecorp.com
Cell: (503) 709-0950

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and for the intended recipient(s) alone. It may contain privileged and confidential information and is covered by Non-Disclosure Agreements. If you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately. Thank You.