configure warnings and errors upon ./configure for Pinentry v0.9.7

Stephan Beck stebe at mailbox.org
Mon Nov 21 18:33:00 CET 2016

Hi,

David Adamson:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
>
>>> configure: error: No pinentry enabled.
>>
>> You need to install the appropriate development package for the GUI
>> platform.
>
> I looked for a GUI platform but had no idea what it's called where to
> find it and why I need a GUI if I plan on using purely command line
> interface.
>
> Would It be:
> "GPA is a graphical frontend to GnuPG"
>
> Thanks for your help!

If you only want to use the command line (i.e. text mode) and do not
need a GUI, you'll probably need the pinentry-curses package. Install it
by typing: sudo apt-get install pinentry-curses

There's one thing I don't really understand:
In your first mail you talked about your laptop with Debian Jessie, and
that it has gnupg 1.4.18 pre-installed. I think the whole info should
be: Debian Jessie (standard install) has gnupg 1.4.18 AND gnupg 2.0.26
pre-installed. Or how would you be able to issue a command gpg2 at all?
Or do you have a text-mode only pre-installed Debian Jessie with both
gnupg versions?

HTH

Stephan