configure warnings and errors upon ./configure for Pinentry v0.9.7

David Adamson davidadamson.md at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:51:14 CET 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Stephan Beck <stebe at mailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Adamson:
>
> If you only want to use the command line (i.e. text mode) and do not
> need a GUI, you'll probably need the pinentry-curses package. Install it
> by typing: sudo apt-get install pinentry-curses

Thanks for the tip. I just tried your suggestion, installed
pinentry-curses, which installed without error but I am getting the
same error when trying generate keys, just as before.

> There's one thing I don't really understand:
> In your first mail you talked about your laptop with Debian Jessie, and
> that it has gnupg 1.4.18 pre-installed. I think the whole info should
> be: Debian Jessie (standard install) has gnupg 1.4.18 AND gnupg 2.0.26
> pre-installed. Or how would you be able to issue a command gpg2 at all?
> Or do you have a text-mode only pre-installed Debian Jessie with both
> gnupg versions?

You're right there's some information I accidentally left out. I have
a standard debian 8 jessie install which included gnupg v 1.4.18. I
then downloaded and installed from gnupg.org the source code for
version GnuPG modern 2.1.16 and needed libraries. With that said you
can pick up with the opening line of this thread. I hope I didn't
leave anything out this time.

I'm really starting to feel I missed a step along the way and messed
up the install.  I suppose I could do a fresh install  of the OS and
just use the 1.4.18 version otherwise I'm not aware of what to do
differently on my second attempt. I feel as though I followed the
instructions. It probably some basic linux config that I'm too new to
know about, LOL.

Thanks.