Trying to figure out what's going on with a key update failure...

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Thu Nov 24 00:29:15 CET 2016

On 11/23/2016 3:10 PM, Stephan Beck wrote:

> Anthony Papillion:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> When I run
>>
>> gpg2 --keyserver <my-keyserver> --refresh-keys
>>
>> I get a list of all of the keys in my keyring with the message that they
>> have not been changed (this is expected). At the bottom of the output, I
>> see the following message:
>>
>> gpg: Total number processed: 31
>> gpg:              unchanged: 31
>> gpg: keyserver communications error: Not found
>> gpg: keyserver communications error: Bad public key
>> gpg: keyserver refresh failed: Bad public key
>>
>> I assumed that I was getting this message because a key lookup failed
>> because it wasn't on a keyserver but someone on another list said this
>> is not the case. When I look at all of the output from the session,
>> nothing indicates any problems with any of the 31 keys in my keyring.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what this error means and how can I fix it?
>
> Which gpg2 version are you running? 2.0x or 2.1x? If it's the former,
> gpg makes use of the "keyserver helper programs" to connect to
> keyservers, whereas using the latter implies Dirmngr being in charge of
> it. Depending on that, the ways to get the required information needed
> to analyze and (possibly) resolve your problem differ.
> Or do you already have all that information when you say
>> When I look at all of the output from the session

I don't have anything besides what's displayed when I try to refresh the
keys so I probably will need to tease more information out of the
process. I'm running the 2.0 branch (specifically, 2.0.30). Are there
commands I can use to extract the information you mentioned?

Thanks,
Anthony

VoIP/SIP:     1259010 at localphone.com
Skype:        cajuntechie