Trying to figure out what's going on with a key update failure...

Stephan Beck stebe at mailbox.org
Wed Nov 23 22:10:00 CET 2016

Anthony Papillion:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> When I run
>
> gpg2 --keyserver <my-keyserver> --refresh-keys
>
> I get a list of all of the keys in my keyring with the message that they
> have not been changed (this is expected). At the bottom of the output, I
> see the following message:
>
> gpg: Total number processed: 31
> gpg:              unchanged: 31
> gpg: keyserver communications error: Not found
> gpg: keyserver communications error: Bad public key
> gpg: keyserver refresh failed: Bad public key
>
> I assumed that I was getting this message because a key lookup failed
> because it wasn't on a keyserver but someone on another list said this
> is not the case. When I look at all of the output from the session,
> nothing indicates any problems with any of the 31 keys in my keyring.
>
> Can someone tell me what this error means and how can I fix it?

Which gpg2 version are you running? 2.0x or 2.1x? If it's the former,
gpg makes use of the "keyserver helper programs" to connect to
keyservers, whereas using the latter implies Dirmngr being in charge of
it. Depending on that, the ways to get the required information needed
to analyze and (possibly) resolve your problem differ.
Or do you already have all that information when you say
> When I look at all of the output from the session

Cheers

Stephan

Cheers

Stephan