Terminology - certificate or key ?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Oct 2 12:44:16 CEST 2016

> Frankly, I did not know how to translate the German term
> "Schnappschloss".  I had in mind that a "latch" is similar to a
> "deadbolt".

Heinz Diehl wrote:
> Visualising a picture of what is meant by the German term, I would
> intuitively translate it to something like a hasp, a snap lock or even
> a spring lock. And you're right, I also heard the term latch lock.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnappschloss is empty.

Schnappschloss seems to be a wide word covering all sorts,
English has more words than German, so probably a selection of pictures
offers best way to choose best word for the function.

A latch is not similar to a deadbolt though. 
A latch is weaker.
A latch is spring loaded, or gravity assisted.

https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Schnappschloss	...  Pictures
The silver, one from right end, is a snap lock. 
The brass at far right is a latch.


"Snap lock" 
  May be OK, or maybe Catch, (I'd be happier with the word Lock if
  that picture also had a tiny hole for a key (as mine does, crappy
  key but it is then a primitive lock.


"Dead bolts"

PS Wouldnt suprise me if British & American & other speakers of
English had different words for some of those things.  (I'm English
but decades in Germany so not always entirely certain translating back)

Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.

More information about the Gnupg-users mailing list