Terminology - certificate or key ?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Oct 2 12:44:16 CEST 2016

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2016-October/056809.html

Heinz Diehl wrote:
> Visualising a picture of what is meant by the German term, I would
> intuitively translate it to something like a hasp, a snap lock or even
> a spring lock. And you're right, I also heard the term latch lock.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnappschloss is empty.

Schnappschloss seems to be a wide word covering all sorts,
English has more words than German, so probably a selection of pictures
offers best way to choose best word for the function.

A latch is not similar to a deadbolt though.
A latch is weaker.
A latch is spring loaded, or gravity assisted.

https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Schnappschloss	...  Pictures
The silver, one from right end, is a snap lock.
The brass at far right is a latch.

http://www.ebay.de/bhp/schnappschloss
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Oberlichtschnaepper-Edelstahl-Optik-Federriegel-Schnappschloss-Fensterschloss-/331887421951
"Latch"

http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-x-Schnappschloss-mit-Ose-gross-97x50-mm-Kistenverschluss-Spannverschluss-/360829984297
"Snap lock"
  May be OK, or maybe Catch, (I'd be happier with the word Lock if
  that picture also had a tiny hole for a key (as mine does, crappy
  key but it is then a primitive lock.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2pcs-3-Spannverschluss-Kofferverschluss-Kistenverschluss-Schnappschloss-Latch-/351691384246
"Hasp"

http://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-galvanised-steel-tower-bolt-l102mm/307467_BQ.prd
http://www.diy.com/departments/yale-deadlock/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-2cm-ZOLL-TURM-BOLZEN-TURSCHLOSS-SCHUPPEN-GARTEN-TUR-/301978902053
"Dead bolts"

PS Wouldnt suprise me if British & American & other speakers of
English had different words for some of those things.  (I'm English
but decades in Germany so not always entirely certain translating back)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.