Terminology - certificate or key ?

Michael A. Yetto idmsdba at nycap.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 19:48:01 CEST 2016

On Sun, 02 Oct 2016 12:44:16 +0200
"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:

>https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2016-October/056809.html
>> Frankly, I did not know how to translate the German term
>> "Schnappschloss".  I had in mind that a "latch" is similar to a
>> "deadbolt".
>
>Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> Visualising a picture of what is meant by the German term, I would
>> intuitively translate it to something like a hasp, a snap lock or
>> even a spring lock. And you're right, I also heard the term latch
>> lock.
>
>https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnappschloss is empty.
>
>Schnappschloss seems to be a wide word covering all sorts,
>English has more words than German, so probably a selection of pictures
>offers best way to choose best word for the function.
>
>A latch is not similar to a deadbolt though.
>A latch is weaker.
>A latch is spring loaded, or gravity assisted.
>
>https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Schnappschloss	...  Pictures
>The silver, one from right end, is a snap lock.
>The brass at far right is a latch.
>
>http://www.ebay.de/bhp/schnappschloss
>http://www.ebay.de/itm/Oberlichtschnaepper-Edelstahl-Optik-Federriegel-Schnappschloss-Fensterschloss-/331887421951
>"Latch"
>
>http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-x-Schnappschloss-mit-Ose-gross-97x50-mm-Kistenverschluss-Spannverschluss-/360829984297
>"Snap lock"
>  May be OK, or maybe Catch, (I'd be happier with the word Lock if
>  that picture also had a tiny hole for a key (as mine does, crappy
>  key but it is then a primitive lock.
>
>http://www.ebay.de/itm/2pcs-3-Spannverschluss-Kofferverschluss-Kistenverschluss-Schnappschloss-Latch-/351691384246
>"Hasp"
>
>http://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-galvanised-steel-tower-bolt-l102mm/307467_BQ.prd
>http://www.diy.com/departments/yale-deadlock/
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-2cm-ZOLL-TURM-BOLZEN-TURSCHLOSS-SCHUPPEN-GARTEN-TUR-/301978902053
>"Dead bolts"
>
>PS Wouldnt suprise me if British & American & other speakers of
>English had different words for some of those things.  (I'm English
>but decades in Germany so not always entirely certain translating back)

I think that was my cue.

I thought what might be meant is what I have always referred to as a
slam lock. That is, a locking mechanism that stays locked after opening
from the inside and locks itself after closing from the outside.

It is an easy way to lock yourself out of your car with the engine
running if you just had the door replaced and the new one has a slam
lock while the old one didn't.

Mike "not that this ever happened to me" Yetto
--
"If your belief system is not founded in an objective reality, you
should not be making decisions that affect other people."