Confusion about a statement in the FAQ

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Sun Oct 9 20:04:54 CEST 2016

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 07:36:27PM -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > Hmm, OK that's kind of what I thought. But I'm still a little
> > confused. Doesn't the email server have to support it?
>
> No.
>
> > Or would the "to" be one of those things not encrypted?
>
> Headers that are strictly required to process email are not armored.

Actually the "To:" and "From:" headers could be armoured without real
trouble since they're included in the data portion with the "Subject:"
and whatever else any given MUA wants to include.  It's the "rcpt to"
and "mail from" headers that couldn't be, along with the relay data
from SMTP, IMAP and/or POP3 transactions.  It's just that the "To:"
address usually matches the "rcpt to" address and the "From:" address
usually matches "mail from" (mailing lists being one of the more
common exceptions to that).

Regards,
Ben