Private key export for SSH

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Oct 11 11:47:17 CEST 2016

On 10/10/16 22:56, John Lane wrote:
> The reason why I would like the private key is so that I can use it on
> another host where I don't have the benefit of gpg 2.1 (or any gpg, for
> that matter).

I don't know if you can do private key export; perhaps with monkeysphere?

Here's a different idea. An .ssh/authorized_keys file is a list of text
lines, each line being a single authentication key. Normally, you append
the contents of id_xxx.pub, a single line, to an .ssh/authorized_keys
file to add that key.

How about you just create a separate key for the machine where you don't
use GnuPG, and then create a .pub file that contains two lines, one for
the GnuPG key and one for the other key?

$ rsync other:.ssh/id_rsa.pub combined.pub
$ gpg --export-ssh-key alice >> combined.pub

Note the second command appends to combined.pub.

Then any time you add combined.pub to an .ssh/authorized_keys file,
you're adding both keys, with the same procedure you would normally add
a single key, no extra clicks, nothing :-).

HTH.

Peter.