I think that's a false dichotomy

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Sep 5 00:45:39 CEST 2016

> Do I smell a little bit of a Stockholm syndrome here?

The Stockholm syndrome is half-pop science and half-real.  It stems from
a hostage situation in Stockholm where many of the hostages emotionally
bonded with their captors, and vice-versa, to the point where they
sympathized with each other.  Many of the hostages visited their captors
in prison in later years.

We see it in abused children, too -- kids have been known to commit
perjury in court in order to protect the parent they love, the parent
who has been abusing them.  It's incredibly sad when that happens: not
only is the kid a victim of abuse, but now the kid feels guilty for not
being able to protect Mom or Dad.

Colloquially, it means sympathy for the devil.  It means you're
empathizing with the people you're opposed to.  So what you've just done
is accused me of emotionally bonding with some of the worst evil in
humanity.

Maybe you meant exactly what you said.  Maybe it was just an
extraordinary act of foolishness.  I don't much care.  Goodbye.  You've
been added to my killfile.  We won't be speaking again.