:-(( Re: smart card no longer works

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Fri Sep 9 16:52:34 CEST 2016

On 09/09/16 06:16, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> On 09/09/2016 05:21 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>>> The last I checked, Ubuntu's stock install did not include smartcard
>> drivers.

> Please use the standard scdaemon from GnuPG.

> PC/SC service is optional.  In-stock CCID driver of GnuPG just works
> well in most cases.  Only when it doesn't work, please try
> to install pcscd and libpcsclite1.

As I recall, in Ubuntu 14.04 I just used the in-stock driver in gnupg.

> Packaging in Debian had been changed.  Now scdaemon is in a package of
> "scdaemon" (used to be in "gnupg2" package).

I have now installed the missing scdaemon deb package and that makes a
big improvement as far as gpg2 is concerned.

Both gpg and gpg2 --card-status return essentially the same data which
looks good.

For decrypting a file, both gpg and "gpg2 -o output_file -d
input_file.gpg" fail with the same message :

gpg: public key is 0x79D467BFF5DF6C91
gpg: using subkey 0x79D467BFF5DF6C91 instead of primary key
0x26BD500A23543A63
gpg: using subkey 0x79D467BFF5DF6C91 instead of primary key
0x26BD500A23543A63
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 0x79D467BFF5DF6C91, created
2014-10-28
      "Philip Jackson (Jan 2013 +) <philip.jackson at nordnet.fr>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: Operation cancelled
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

Since in my first attempts, the pinentry window which came up was
anonymous, I supposed there might be a problem with the choice of
pinentry.  So I put "pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2" into the
gpg-agent.conf file.

The pinentry dialogue is no longer anonymous, it does say
pinentry-gtk-2, but the result is the same, no decrypt.

Philip