:-(( Re: smart card no longer works

Stephan Beck stebe at mailbox.org
Sat Sep 10 20:56:00 CEST 2016

Hi Philip,

Philip Jackson:
> On 10/09/16 06:27, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
>
>> I don't have any experience with this error behavior.  Please describe
>> the situation and the interaction; Did you input passphrase and push
>> [OK] button, and then gpg failed?
>>
>> Please try again with pinentry-curses and/or pinentry-tty.  Does it work?
>>
> I don't think the pinentry is the problem. I have tried several versions
> and no matter if I enter the pin via dialogue box or on the command
> line, the result is the same.
>
> I verified the pin using gpg --card-edit & it is ok.
>
> I think the problem must be more connected with how I introduced my
> secring and pubring to the new distro installation when I installed
> ubuntu 16.04

Have you recreated the key stubs on the new system after having imported
your public key first?

And before, still on 14.04, did you use the --export-secret-keys command?

Which were the steps you have taken for "migrating" keys to the new
installation?

And, by the way, does the screen output in your previous mail really
show that a subkey with the same ID as the pubkey (so, a duplicate of
the pubkey) is being used for decrypting a file encrypted to your
pubkey? I mean, that wouldn't make sense in terms of public key
cryptography and is duly canceled by gpg.
Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Stebe