benchmarking security tokens speed

Antoine Beaupré lwn at anarc.at
Mon Aug 28 15:05:38 CEST 2017

On 2017-08-28 10:04:01, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 00:35, lwn at anarc.at said:
>
>> I'm in the process of reviewing performance of various security tokens
>> (the Yubikeys, the FST-01, Nitrokey), and I am getting somewhat
>
> Thanks for the numbers.  However, the numbers Nitrokey are are missing.
> Shall I send you a "standard" Zeitcontrol card, which is probably the
> most widely used device and also what is crunching the numbers in a
> Nitrokey?

Sure, although I'm in contact with the Nitrokey people to get a
"nitrokey pro" from them. Getting wider coverage would of course be
better!

> The numbers are as expected.  With a crypto chip RSA is much faster.  By
> design the Gnuk can't be as fast - it is just a simple MCU.  However,
> using Curve25519 Gnuk is really fast.

Yes. In my tests it's faster at doing ECC encryption than the Yubikey 4
in RSA 2048, and only about 4 times slower than the system CPU, which is
amazing.

Thanks for your response!

A.
--