Key Used to Lookup Symmetric Passphrase.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 20:10:15 CET 2017

Hi,

I wrote:
> What's the key being used to look up the symmetric passphrase?  Is it
> something random stored in *.gpg and thus survives the rename?

So I used `gpg --debug-level guru -d foo.gpg' and see the

    GET_PASSPHRASE --data --repeat=0 -- S08635B195E745ED6 X X Enter+passphrase%0A

and from that found the code that shows S086... is eight bytes of random
salt used for the symmetric encryption.

> How can I list these in the manner of -k and -K?

That question remains.  Also, say I have three files symmetrically
encrypted at different times with the same passphrase.  I'd like the
salt used on encryption to be the same for all three so I can decrypt
them as needed but only tell gpg-agent the passphrase once.

I'm guessing this can't currently be done and would welcome education
on why not.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy