? Comments re key servers? re gpg-encrypted mail? re key servers carry many phony keys?

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Tue Feb 7 09:16:44 CET 2017

On 170206-18:51-0500, Antony Prince wrote:
> On 2/6/2017 6:01 PM, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> > Maybe just if anybody can confirm whether another key is or is not
> > available from the common keyservers, as that is the only one that I
> > haven't managed to receive yet, this one:
> >
> > 3F533109A9509B14
>
> $gpg --keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 3F533109A9509B14
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: No data
>
> $gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 3F533109A9509B14
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: No data

Thanks!

> The key does not appear to be on either of those sets of keyservers.

Some likelihood now apparently being that it was kind of a user-failed
key... But there are no keys that the user may create, sign messages
with, and then successfully abandon and get the web to just forget
about them, I'm afraid...

It the case is such, should the owner revoke it and post the revocation
cert? An awkward situation, isn't it...

But we would need a confirmation that we are right about the
unavailability of this key from keyservers, or an affirmation of the
availability thereof, from the owner (CC'd all the time since the
suspicion arose).

But I'm fine, if this matter is now preferred left aside, as far as
possible...

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis