content of private-keys-v1.d

Marko Bauhardt marko.bauhardt at mailbox.org
Wed Feb 8 12:13:06 CET 2017

> On 08 Feb 2017, at 10:17, Damien Goutte-Gattat <dgouttegattat at incenp.org <mailto:dgouttegattat at incenp.org>> wrote:
>
> Even when your private keys are stored on a smartcard, you would still have a corresponding file in the private-keys-v1.d directory. But this file is only a "stub", that is, it only tells GnuPG that the actual key material is stored on a smart card.

You mean that this “stub” contains no information which can be use to sign/decrypt/authenticate?
Or in other words in case someone steal this key, he/she can nothing do with that particular key, only in case the GPG key is located on a smartcard?
But if the key is not on the smart card this corresponding key can be use to sign/enc/auth?

I can not really find some detailed documentation of the `private-keys-v1.d` folder. Do you have some docu?

thx
Marko

---

Marko Bauhardt
marko.bauhardt at mailbox.org <mailto:marko.bauhardt at mailbox.org>

GPG Key ID: 53192101
GPG Fingerprint: DC0F E851 82A3 72E3 7FE1  ACDB 970C FD47 5319 2101