Keyring operations _very_ slow

René Pfeiffer lynx at luchs.at
Mon Feb 13 10:53:07 CET 2017

On Feb 10, 2017 at 1610 +0000, Andrew Gallagher appeared and said:
> On 10/02/17 12:57, René Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am using gpg and gpg2 with mutt and Icedove/Thunderbird (with Enigmail
> > plugin). My public keyring has grown to be very big since the email clients
> > auto-import unknown keys. Plus I did some signing and imported keys signing
> > keys from others.
> >
> > The problem is that most GPG operations Enigmail does take a lot of time,
> > because key ring operations are very slow.
>
> What version of gpg are you using, and how many keys do you have? I've
> been suffering from similar problems for years.

I am using Debian 8 on all platforms and sadly have gpg (1.4.18-7+deb8u3)
and gpg2 (2.0.26-6+deb8u1). I am using both (gpg for mutt and gpg2 for
Icedove/Thunderbird), because gpg2 relies on pinentry which completely
breaks one of my workflows. I use gpg2 for key management though.

> One thing I found that did help somewhat was to export my public
> keyring, delete it, and then reimport the dump. I found some keys were
> un-importable and (subjectively) keyring operations seem to run a
> little faster now. YMMV

I tried that already, will try it again. I also suspect
old/"broken"/unusable keys.

Best,
René.

--
  )\._.,--....,'``.  fL  Let GNU/Linux work for you while you take a nap.
 /,   _.. \   _\  (`._ ,. R. Pfeiffer <lynx at luchs.at> + http://web.luchs.at/