GPG homedir path length limit

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 16 17:51:07 CET 2017

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:12, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> Why does this need to be created manually?  Why not try to create it if
> possible the first time there's a chance to use it, no matter what?

So that the /var/run/user/ directory is not cluttered with many
directories.  Setting a different GNUPGHOME is an exception and thus it
is fine to require an explicit creation.  Remember that not /var/run
does not need to be a temporary directort - there is more than Linux in
this world.

> I personally like the simplicity and uniformity of "if /run/user/$(id
> -u)/ exists and is writable, then we will use it for the socketdir."

That is non-portable.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner