GPG homedir path length limit

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Feb 17 21:18:14 CET 2017

On Fri 2017-02-17 04:42:14 -0500, Justus Winter wrote:
> Well, I tested it on all systems I had access to at that time.  I could
> have written a small test program, and asked people to run it on systems
> we don't have access to.  But we never got to that point :(

That would be a way to advance this conversation, i think :)

However, path length may only be one concern.  What about other
scenarios, like trying to operate with a read-only $GNUPGHOME ?  Is that
something we want to support?  What about a $GNUPGHOME that resides on a
network-mount drive, or a filesystem that doesn't support unix-domain
sockets?

>> But if you ever use getsockname (e.g. common/sysutils.c and
>> dirmngr/dns.c), the long socket path names are bound to fail on *any*
>> system, right?
>
> Yes.  And iirc I went over why we use getsockname and figured that we
> could do away with them.

but they're still there!  if they're not necessary, we should remove
them.  useful diffs with more -'s than +'s are very nice contributions
to any complex software project :)

        --dkg