Changing PINs of German bank card

NdK ndk.clanbo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:32:43 CEST 2017

Il 11/07/2017 12:32, Binarus ha scritto:

>> If you routinely use your card twice a day, they can make two or four
>> guesses each day: every correct PIN you insert resets the counter.
> I am not completely sure if I got you right. Wouldn't that mean that I
> have to lose my card, the bad person then makes two guesses, then I get
> back my card and enter my correct pin, then I lose my card again, and
> the same bad person finds it again and makes another two guesses, then I
> get my card back again and so on?
Say that's your wife/son that takes the card when you're at home...
Low prob, but possible :)

>> Usually there are other, non-technical ways. For example they just go to
>> the bank with a death certificate.
> I already have seen cases where it was not that easy in Germany.
> Usually, presenting a death certificate to the bank is not enough. I
> have seen that the bank had to make sure that the people presenting the
> death certificate actually were the legal heirs. That meant that those
> people had to acquire all sorts of documents from all sorts of
> authorities which has been very expensive (several hundreds of EUR), but
> more important, was very unpleasant and time consuming, especially in
> the situation they were.
Been there...
Another reason to give the password before going with the documents
might be "a bit" illegal: just transfer the money to avoid paying taxes.

> But now, being a German citizen, try the same thing with eBay, Facebook,
> LinkedIn, PayPal and so on ... no thanks.
Why should heirs have access to social accounts? Paypal, otoh, is a bank
that have to follow the same rules of other banks...

> Nice ideas :-) My own security needs are not that high, though (hoping
> that life won't punish me for that optimism).
My concern with a singl "cleartext" pass would be a burglar that steals
it together with other valuables...

> To add to it, if you mistrust your relatives, you could put the password
> on paper into some sort of lock box and carry the key to that lock box
> with you. But then what would happen if you lost that key?
Given that mechanical keys are often easier to open whithout the key
than with it...

BYtE,
 Diego