How to NOT gnutar files during encryption?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Jul 19 16:49:17 CEST 2017

On 19/07/17 16:30, helices wrote:
> Unchecking that box and encrypting, this file decrypted and unzipped
> without incident: Archive.zip.gpg

And if you keep the box checked, does it produce a file named
Archive.zip.gpg or Archive.zip.tar.gpg? Because IMO, it should be the
latter. A good alternative would be: supposing the file is at
.../foldername/Archive.zip, call the tarred and encrypted file
foldername.tar.gpg. But naming it Archive.zip.gpg looks just confusing
and wrong to me. The chain of extensions is just incorrect; if we're
dropping "inner" extensions, it should be Archive.gpg, which just loses
all information.

If your client saw the filename "Archive.zip.tar.gpg" or
"foldername.tar.gpg", they might notice and think "Hey, where did this
come from?" instead of just sending it to you and leading to confusion
all round. Similarly, you might have noticed.

Cheers,

Peter.