Test symmetrically encrypted files for errors - make sure they can be decrypted

karel-v_g at tutanota.com karel-v_g at tutanota.com
Sat Jul 22 00:01:45 CEST 2017

Hello!I am using GnuPG 1.4.x to symmetrically encrypt files before I transfer them to "the cloud" for backup reasons.Is there any way to test these encrypted files for errors, i.e. to make sure they can be decrypted correctly without actually having to decrypt them again?Providing the passphrase again etc. is no problem, I only want to avoid to write the whole file to my disk a third time (unencrypted original, encrypted backup, decrypted test).If I can test the file somehow will I get back an errorlevel on success or error?In short I am searching for something like the test option for packed files that most archivers offer.Thanks Karel