setting GnuPG card to 'not forces' does not let sign

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Jun 9 08:39:11 CEST 2017

El día viernes, junio 09, 2017 a las 08:09:12a. m. +0200, Werner Koch escribió:

> > The bad PIN counter in the card is not decremented. Switching the card
> > back to 'forced' makes signing with PIN working again.
>
> Interesting.  Did you also try to reset the card (i.e. re-insert) whit
> non-forced set?

As I wrote in the last mail, it works now like it should and for signing
as for SSH I only have to enter the PIN once.

I have one last remaining issue with this GnuPG card and/or my USB
device HID Global OMNIKEY 6121 Smart Card Reader and/or FreeBSD, i.e.
its totally unclear at the moment what is causing it:

Sometimes (let's say in 50% of the cases) the USB device is not seen by
the FreeBSD kernel on power-on boot, even if the OMNIKEY is already inserted before
power-on. When it is not seen on boot, it is not seen on withdraw and
re-insert. When it is seen, it is always seen, i.e. one can re-insert as
much as you want, it always works. Sometimes not even a re-boot helps, it
takes 2-3 re-boots to get the OMNIKEY seen.

I know, this is not a GnuPG issue, but I wanted to mention it here to
ask if others has similar experiences, even on Linux or other OS, or if
it worth to get a new OMNIKEY device or even another device.

Comments?

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
8. Mai 1945: Wer nicht feiert hat den Krieg verloren.