Homedir & scdaemon

Adam Sherman adam at sherman.ca
Mon Mar 27 17:37:08 CEST 2017

Hello,

I would like to be able to do the occasional operation from an alternate
home directory. And I'm using a SmartCard.

So, gpg2 itself has the --homedir option, which works. But you need to
kill existing agents before hand, or things get confusing.

But, scdaemon seems more stubborn, and doesn't respect gpg2's homedir
option. And trying to start it manually, beforehand, with the --homedir
option, fails with:

$ /usr/lib/gnupg2/scdaemon -v --homedir /media/asherman/TailsData/gnupg/
scdaemon[5944]: invalid option "--homedir"

Any tips? Or is there a much better way to keep some of my secret keys
offline?

A.