haaveged + gpg --sign fails with "signing failed: Operation cancelled"

Rainer Hoerbe rainer at hoerbe.at
Wed Mar 29 08:23:32 CEST 2017

> Am 29.03.2017 um 07:44 schrieb Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.email>:
>

> That's not how you use haveged. It is supposed to start when the system boots, and run in the background, collecting entropy to seed the PRNG.

This system is based on a LiveCD starting a Docker container. Therefore there is no init.d, only pcscd and haveged. In my understanding wait time to collect entropy should not be the problem when having a blocking RNG - the process just waits.

> That said, if you are using a card for signing that's way more likely to be involved in the problems you're seeing. Try creating a key on the file system, and test using that first. If that works, then you've narrowed down your problems.

I did this before, and it worked.

As not using havegd did work for me I have no need to fix this problem. I just would recommend to add a note to gpg that users are warned about the issue, as gpg will not yield a meaningful error message, even with -vvv.

Thanks, Rainer