gpg hangs when asking for passphrase

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue May 9 11:50:33 CEST 2017

On 09/05/17 04:34, Joey Morris wrote:
> I'm running version 2.1.18 on debian sid. Does anyone have thoughts on what
> might be happening or suggestions for additional troubleshooting?

Is it possible that this started occuring after upgrading the gnupg
package? 2.1.17-4 (from 10 Jan) introduced using systemd user sessions
for gpg-agent and dirmngr by default. When I had this enabled on Debian
jessie, a connection to the agent would just hang. I figured this had to
do with a difference in systemd between jessie and stretch/sid. But
perhaps you're experiencing a variant of it. Do you have the package
dbus-user-session installed?

I don't know much about systemd, and I don't run stretch or sid. So I
can't help you much. I just recognised your description of connections
hanging. However, that change was introduced several months ago. Perhaps
something else changed more recently that still broke the user session
thingy for you?

HTH,

Peter.