Complete Ubuntu compile of GnuPG

murphy mac3iii at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 00:57:51 CET 2017

Thanks to all for suggestions.  For a complete compile on a fresh
install of Ubuntu, I managed to get the bash file down to a minimum of:

cd ~/Downloads
version=gnupg-2.2.3
wget https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/gnupg/$version.tar.bz2
wget https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/gnupg/$version.tar.bz2.sig
tar xf $version.tar.bz2
cd $version
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y libldap2-dev
sudo apt-get install -y gtk+-2
sudo apt-get install -y rng-tools
sudo apt-get install -y libbz2-dev
sudo apt-get install -y zlib1g-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libgnutls28-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libsqlite3-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libreadline-dev
sudo apt-get install -y pinentry-gtk2
sudo apt-get install -y pcscd scdaemon
sudo make -f build-aux/speedo.mk INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local \
  speedo_pkg_gnupg_configure='--enable-g13 \
  --enable-wks-tools' native
sudo ldconfig

Without the libgnutls28-dev install Ubuntu is without a suitable
compiler or even the make command.  This installs make, gcc+-7 and
probably lots of unnecessary stuff but at least it is a one-liner.  For
the Yubikey smart card the Ubuntu package scdaemon seems to be required
as gpg --card-edit complains and fails if it is not included in the
ubuntu installation list.  This bash file has the advantage of using
only Ubuntu packages and speedo, so the only update change needed is
changing a single digit in version=gnupg-2.2.3 for the near future
upgrades.  No unnecessary repeat compiles are done since pinentry is a
package, although it is necessary to include the configuration file at
least once:

nano ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2

or the pinentry version of your choice (-gnome3, -qt, -tty, -x11,
-curses packages are all available for install and configure).

I'm sure this can be improved upon and I am eager to see if it can be
made even smaller and faster while keeping the convenience of changing a
single digit and renaming gpg223.sh to gpg224.sh.

Thanks - murphy