FAQ and GNU

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 14:13:45 CEST 2017

Hi Robert,

> A request has been made that each instance of "Linux" in the FAQ be
> replaced with "GNU/Linux".

I thought this zealotry had fizzled out about 2013.  :-)

> However, in order to make sure that the FAQ reflects the community's
> wishes, I'm submitting the proposal here for community feedback.

Those preferring GNU/Linux are more likely to reply.

> If anyone has strong feelings on it one way or another, chime in.

Do not change to using GNU/Linux.  It's a purely political term;  there
is no case for technical accuracy.  Alongside GNU programs I have Clang,
musl C library, X Windows, KDE, Firefox, LibreOffice and many other
non-GNU project, non-GNU licensed, parts.  Singling out GNU for credit
is unfair to those.

"Linux" can be the kernel or a distro.  Context makes this clear in the
majority of cases.  Appending `kernel' or `distribution' in the odd
remaining case is sufficient.

GNU/Linux is more awkward to read, and to verbalise in the mind.  Using
RMS's declaration of correction pronunciation, "GNU slash Linux" or "GNU
plus Linux", makes this worse.  (He argues, correctly, saying "GNU
Linux" is wrong because it suggests Linux is a GNU project.)

The term GNU/Linux is dying a natural death.  Do not resuscitate.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy