GnuPG on Android [was: Re: FAQ and GNU]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Oct 11 16:40:42 CEST 2017

On Wed 2017-10-11 09:15:41 +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> At Wed, 11 Oct 2017 08:26:21 +0200,
> Werner Koch wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:55, ben at adversary.org said:
>>
>> > Has anyone managed to get any part of the GPG libs to compile on
>> > Android/Linux?  As far as I'm aware no one has and all OpenPGP
>>
>> There might be a problems with the current release but GnuPG is expected
>> to build for Android just fine.  And on AIX and HP/UX.  There might be
>> build problems but that are bugs we need to fix.
>
> I'm aware of an effort that tried to port GnuPG to Android.  bionic
> was a source of several problems.  As far as I know, the work is
> currently stalled.

I've been asked about this repeatedly myself, and my impression aligns
with what Neal is saying, but i'd be happy to be wrong.

here's the project i was thinking of that was farthest along in terms of
system integration on Android is:

   https://guardianproject.info/code/gnupg/

At any rate, it sounds like the details here might be something that we
want to put in the FAQ :)

Clearly it is *not* the case that most Android-based Linux systems
(which is to say, most Linux-based systems, when measuring by
installation count) come with GnuPG installed by default, alas. :(

    --dkg