"Insecure memory" (yes setuid set) and "get_passphrase failed"

Dan Horne dan.horne at redbone.co.nz
Mon Sep 4 00:42:40 CEST 2017

Hi. I'm trying to get GnuPG working on Solaris 10

Our Unix administrator installed the CSW package. I'm trying to create my
key:

$ gpg2 --gen-key

However at the time it comes to generate the secret  key I get:

You need a Passphrase to protect your secret key.

Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg-agent[10073]: command get_passphrase failed: End of file
gpg: problem with the agent: End of file
gpg: Key generation canceled.

Regarding the warning, the recommended response I found via Internet search
was:

# chmod u+s /path/to/gpg

This was done, but didn't affect the warning:

$ ls -l /opt/csw/bin/gpg2
-r-sr-xr-x  25 root     bin        12252 Jul 25  2016 /opt/csw/bin/gpg2

Regarding the passphrase, I've made sure that pinentry is in my path:

$ which pinentry
/opt/csw/bin/pinentry

Which is a symbolic link to pinentry-curses

$ ls -l /opt/csw/bin/pinentry-curses
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin        58004 Jul 11  2011
/opt/csw/bin/pinentry-curses

It still doesn't work

After a bit more Googling, I tried adding the following to my gpg.conf
file, but it caused a syntax error:

pinentry-program /opt/csw/bin/pinentry-curses

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Dan