Explicit command for particular behavior

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Sep 13 10:36:35 CEST 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 21:07, ryan at splintermail.com said:

>   gpg --export --armored some_key_id  >  keyfile

(Please try to use the fingerprint instead of the key_id.)

> But then I wanted perform some basic checks on the file submitted, and I
> found this fantastic behavior:
>
>   cat keyfile | gpg --with-colons --with-fingerprints

There is actually a better way since 2.1.23:

   gpg --with-colons --import-options show-only --import <keyfile

If your version is older but newer than 2.1.14:

   gpg --with-colons --import-options import-show --dry-run --import <keyfile

Note that you will also see the fingerprints of the subkeys, but the
first "fpr" line is always the one of the primary key.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner