Issue with pinentry GUI agent

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Wed Aug 29 00:41:18 CEST 2018

On 08/28/2018 08:22 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Sat 2018-08-25 08:18:48 +0200, sunrises at gmx.com wrote:
>> Hi all, since some days I'm having an issue with pinentry, I've set the default agent as pinentry-qt4
>> from update-alternatives (I've also tried pinentry-qt and pinentry-gnome) but when I run gpg --decrypt file
>> it's always falling on the cli for prompting the password. In .gnupg/gpg-agent.conf as the first line I have
>> pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt4 as well, but I don't get why it's ignoring it.
>> There's a way to debug what's going on?
>
> can you give a little bit more information about your system (OS,
> version, version of gpg, version of pinentry, etc), and how you're
> accessing it (e.g. via ssh, via a graphical environment, etc)?
>
> have you terminated your gpg-agent program ("gpgconf --kill gpg-agent")
> after updating your settings in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf  so that the
> settings would take effect?

Not sure if it is related, but I'm currently also investigating an issue
with the qt pinentry for Gentoo installations. no similar issues for the
other ones.. I'm able to reproduce failures with the auto-spawned
gpg-agent though, that doesn't materialize when calling the pinentry
application directly in an environment.

In this case the gtk2 pinentry works as expected though... but something
is possibly off with the handling of DISPLAY (as far as I've gotten in
my debugging that is the only diff in the env vars between the direct
invocation and the bash propmpted one, it might not be ultimately relevant)
--
Kristian Fiskerstrand