Smart cards

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Tue Dec 11 19:11:03 CET 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 12:35:57PM +0100, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
> Is it possible to get OpenPGP functionality on one of those
> contactless cards?

I know of at least one NFC-enabled OpenPGP card, the "Fidesmo
Card" [1].

I never tested it, but from what I remember when I delved into
their site, the OpenPGP feature of that card is provided by the
same JavaCard applet than the one used in the Yubikey NEO. Which
means, among other things, that it does not implement version 3 of
the OpenPGP Card specification (so, no ECC keys), and does not
support RSA keys larger than 2048 bits.

Another provider of NFC-enabled OpenPGP cards was Sigilance [2],
but they have since ceased all operations. Their cards were also
based on the same JavaCard applet, with the same limitations.

I am not aware of an available implementation of the OpenPGP Card
v3, with support for ECC keys and RSA 4096-bit, on a NFC-enabled
support.

- Damien

[1] http://shop.fidesmo.com/product/fidesmo-card
[2] https://www.sigilance.com/ (warning: expired certificate)